Posts for tag: throat
What your ENT specialists in Fredericksburg want you to know about thyroid cancer
You’ve probably heard about thyroid cancer; just the terminology is a bit unnerving. The good news is most cases of thyroid cancer can be treated successfully. The key to effective treatment is early detection, because early detection means an improved treatment outcome. The first step in early detection is to recognize the signs and symptoms of thyroid cancer and to seek out the skills of an expert as soon as possible. Your ear, nose and throat specialists at Ear, Nose and Throat & Facial Plastic Surgery Center in Stafford and Fredericksburg, VA are just the experts you need.
Many early cases of thyroid cancer have little or no symptoms, but as the cancer grows, you may begin to experience recognizable signs and symptoms. Your ENT specialists in Stafford and Fredericksburg want you to know that common signs and symptoms of thyroid cancer include:
- Swollen lymph nodes in your neck
- Pain in your throat or neck
- Difficult or painful swallowing
- Changes in your voice, including hoarseness
- A lump on your neck that can be felt through your skin
There are certain genetic and environmental factors that can increase your risk of thyroid cancer, including:
- If you are female
- If you have a family history of thyroid cancer or endocrine issues
- High levels of radiation exposure
If you are experiencing any of the signs or symptoms of thyroid cancer, you need to visit your ENT specialist in Fredericksburg as soon as possible. During your visit, your doctor will perform a complete physical examination, including blood tests and imaging to make a diagnosis.
If you have thyroid cancer, try not to worry. Your ENT specialists are experts in thyroid cancer treatment and may recommend:
- Surgical therapy, which may include removing a portion of your thyroid, removing lymph nodes in your neck or removing your entire thyroid gland
- Radioactive iodine treatment, to destroy any remaining thyroid tissue to prevent the spread of cancer
- Thyroid hormone therapy, to replenish your missing thyroid hormone
If you are worried about thyroid cancer, the first step you need to take is to visit your ENT specialists. They can diagnose and treat your thyroid cancer so you can get on with your life. Don’t spend your life worrying; it’s time to call your ear, nose and throat specialists at Ear, Nose and Throat & Facial Plastic Surgery Center with offices in Fredericksburg and Stafford, Virginia. Find out more by calling today!
How your ENT specialist in Fredericksburg can help you
Ear, Nose and Throat specialists are doctors who exclusively treat medical conditions associated with your ears, nose and throat. They are commonly referred to as ENTs. Your ears, nose and throat are complex areas of your body and can be afflicted with many different medical issues from allergies to sleep apnea.
Many of these conditions affect your entire body. It’s critical to receive the appropriate specialized care to treat the problem before it gets worse. Your ENT specialists in Fredericksburg and Stafford, Virginia want to share with you some of the medical conditions they treat and how you can get relief.
If you are having difficulty with your ears, your ENT specialists in Fredericksburg and Stafford can treat:
- Tinnitus or ringing in your ears, with therapies from an otolaryngologist
- Pediatric or adult ear infections with antibiotics and other therapies
- Hearing difficulties and hearing loss with a hearing test, and a wide range of hearing aids
There are many issues which can affect your nose, and your specialists will be able to help you get relief from:
- Allergies, with allergy testing, allergy shots or sublingual immunotherapy
- Sinusitis, with over-the-counter or prescription antihistamines and decongestants, and other therapies
- Sleep apnea and snoring, with devices like the CPAP, to help open your airway and give you consistent oxygen while you sleep
Your throat and mouth play host to a number of bacteria, and can be a perfect breeding ground for medical problems. Your specialists can treat your mouth and throat and provide relief for problems including:
- Mouth sores, with over-the-counter or prescription topical medications
- Thyroid problems, with prescription medication and other therapies
- Oral or throat cancer, with aggressive therapies and surgery
These are just a few of the services your ENT can provide. If you are suffering from medical issues of the ear, nose or throat, you owe it to yourself to seek out the help of a specialist. Don’t wait when it comes to treating these vital areas of your body. Call your ENT specialists with offices in Fredericksburg and Stafford, Virginia today to find out more!