A deviated septum happens when the wall of tissue that separates your left and right nostrils bends or curves to the side. It can be diagnosed using an X-ray and a visual exam. Gain more of an understanding of the causes, symptoms, and solutions for patients who have a deviated septum when you visit the Ear, Nose & Throat & Facial Plastic Surgery Center of Fredericksburg located in Stafford and Fredericksburg, VA.
What Can Cause a Deviated Septum?
If you examine your nose closely in the mirror, you may be able to notice if there is an imbalance in its symmetry, which may be a deviated septum. These are the most common causes:
- An injury or blow to the face or nose, such as while playing sports.
- A birth defect or inherited genetic trait that causes the nose abnormality.
- During the course of aging, the structure of the septum can weaken and shift out of position.
Symptoms and Side Effects You May Experience
A deviated septum can cause a number of issues for patients, ranging from a mild inconvenience to a daily disruption. Here are some of the common symptoms and side effects:
- Difficulty breathing (wheezing or constricted breaths).
- Chronic sinusitis (inflammation and swelling in the passages of the nose).
- Snoring and problems sleeping.
- Sudden nosebleeds.
- Pain and general discomfort.
- Aesthetic concerns, as a deviated septum often causes a visible bump to form on top of the nose.
Surgical Solutions for a Deviated Septum
A balloon sinuplasty is the commonly recommended procedure to relieve the symptoms of a deviated septum. During this procedure, a balloon is inserted into the nasal cavity then inflated to allow drainage of mucus buildup. Reconstructive surgery options are also available for a deviated septum at Ear, Nose & Throat & Facial Plastic Surgery Center of Fredericksburg in Stafford and Fredericksburg, VA. The goal is to straighten the position of the wall between your nostrils. In addition, the surgeon can also consult you about how you'd like to improve the overall appearance of your nose.
Learn More About the Benefits of Nose Surgery
Better breathing and also aesthetic improvements are possible when you have your nose surgically corrected. The doctors at Ear, Nose & Throat & Facial Plastic Surgery Center of Fredericksburg in Stafford and Fredericksburg, VA, will examine and advise you on next steps if you have a deviated septum. Call (540) 371-1226 today to schedule your first visit.