Your ENT specialists in Fredericksburg, VA, can help you breathe easily again
When you have a sinus infection, your whole body can feel run down. It's tempting to wait and see if a sinus problem will go away on its own, but what if it doesn't? Your ENT specialist can help you get rid of a sinus infection, so you feel well again.
The ENT specialists of Ear, Nose & Throat & Facial Plastic Surgery Center of Fredericksburg in Fredericksburg, VA, offer a wide range of ENT services. They can help you breathe easily again.
So, how can you tell if you have a sinus infection? There are a few signs and symptoms to look out for. You may have a sinus infection if you:
- Have chronic congestion and problems breathing through your nose
- Feel a continuous throbbing pain deep in your sinuses
- Experience pain in your jaw, nose, forehead, or upper teeth
- Notice a yellow or green discharge coming out of your nose
- Experience frequent severe earaches or headaches
- Have a nagging, chronic cough or sore throat
Sinus infections are caused by viruses, a fungal infection, or bacterial spread. They can also happen as a result of allergies, nasal polyps, or dental problems in your upper teeth.
You can do a lot to prevent getting a sinus infection. Remember to:
- Wash your hands often, with soap and water
- Avoid touching your face to keep out bacteria
- Put a humidifier in your bedroom to keep the air moist
- Use saline solution to irrigate your sinuses daily
Don't wait for a sinus infection to resolve on its own. A sinus infection needs professional treatment for it to go away. Your ENT specialist may recommend:
- Allergy testing to find out if an allergy is causing your sinus infection
- Allergy treatment if necessary, including injections or sublingual therapy
- Antibiotic medication to kill the bacteria causing the infection
- Antihistamines and decongestants to open up your sinuses
- Corticosteroid medication to reduce swelling in your sinuses
To learn more about the causes, prevention, signs and symptoms, and treatment of a sinus infection, talk with the experts by calling the ENT specialists of Ear, Nose & Throat & Facial Plastic Surgery Center of Fredericksburg in Fredericksburg, VA, at (540) 371-1226. Call today.