Posts for category: ENT Health
A hearing aid is a device you wear to help you hear more clearly. When you have hearing loss, a hearing aid is a smart option to help you communicate with others. You wear it in or behind your ear. Hearing aids amplify sounds, perfect for both quiet or noisy environments. If you wear hearing aids and live in Fredericksburg or Stafford, schedule an appointment with our doctors at Ear, Nose & Throat Facial Plastic Surgery. Our experienced doctors can help you with a variety of medical conditions, including hearing loss. Keep reading to learn more about how you can take care of your hearing aids.
Kinds of Hearing Aids
There are three main types of hearing aids, behind the ear, in the ear, or canal. If you need hearing aids and live in Fredericksburg or Stafford, your doctor will determine which hearing aid is best for your unique needs.
- Behind-the-ear hearing aids, also known as BIE, have two parts. The first part of the hearing aid sits behind your ear. A thin, clear tube connects it to an earmold that sits inside the ear canal.
- In-the-ear hearing aids, also known as ITE, fit entirely inside your outer ear.
- Canal hearing aids fit more deeply in the ear canal so that they are nearly invisible to the eye.
Taking Care of Your Hearing Aids
- Hearing aids improve your quality of life, allowing you to hear better and improve your ability to communicate. Taking care of your hearing aids will ensure that they function effectively and last for a long time. The following are some tips to keep your hearing aids in great shape:
- Ear wax and ear drainage can damage your hearing aids. This is why it's so important for you to keep your hearing aids clean. Follow your doctor's instructions to ensure that you are cleaning them properly.
- If the hearing aid batteries die, immediately replace them. Keep the battery door open when not using your hearing aids. If you keep your batteries inside the hearing aids for a long time, they can corrode and damage the device.
- Avoid using hair care products while wearing your hearing aids.
- Moisture and heat can damage your hearing aids, so keep them away from damp and hot environments.
Schedule Your Visit
Hearing loss negatively affects your ability to communicate with others. Fortunately, if you need hearing aids and live in Fredericksburg or Stafford VA, one of our experienced doctors can help you determine which hearing aids are appropriate for your needs. Schedule an appointment by calling us at 540-371-1226.